Legatum Estate Litigation, Abbotsford, BCWhy trust us?
Estate disputes (sometimes called estate litigation) often erupt during a time of tragedy, such as the illness, injury, or death of a loved one. It is a time when emotions are already running high and old wounds are reopened. As a result, estate litigation can be emotionally charged and very painful.
Estate litigation usually erupts when a person’s rights or property gets transferred from one generation to the next. These transfers are often (but not always) between members of the same family.
Resolving estate litigation disputes is our goal at Legatum. Doing so in a way that minimizes emotional suffering and legal expense requires balancing a sensitivity to frustration and pain (that may have been accumulating for years) with the rigour and precision required to determine what people’s legal rights are.
Legatum’s objective is to help families in crisis find a resolution to their estate litigation dispute as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. We also look to foster the reconciliation of relationships as much as we can.
- Have you been cut out of a will?
- Has a loved one died without a will (called “intestate”)?
- Has your common law spouse died without a will or without leaving you anything?
- Are you accused of doing something illegal with an estate?
- Has there been unusual activity with the accounts or property of a person with diminished mental ability (capacity)?
- Has a loved one diagnosed with Alzheimer’s/dementia become unable to make decisions for themselves?
- Has a loved one been diagnosed with a chronic illness?
- Do you see evidence of physical or financial abuse?
- Are there missing estate assets?
- Were you promised something out of an estate that you did not get?
- Does an estate owe you money or wages?
- Is the deceased person’s name registered on the title of property you own?
If you are a spouse or child of someone who has recently died and you feel that you are not getting the inheritance you deserve, we can help. Our team of personable lawyers will contest the will on your behalf, representing your best interests in court if necessary.
In the event that a person makes an uncharacteristic gift of a large sum of money or property, our professional team can help you determine whether or not a court should be asked to return the money or property.
As people age, they can become vulnerable to financial, emotional, and even physical abuse by someone who is looking to secure some kind of financial gain for themselves. At Legatum estate litigation, we will work to get you the legal authority to assist your loved one.
Power of Attorney
If you feel that a trustee is abusing his or her power by personally benefiting from the estate’s assets, we can help. Our experienced team can take the trustee to court and protect the rights of the estate. If you have been wrongfully accused of abusing someone’s estate, Legatum can help you defend against such a painful accusation.
Larry King’s Secret Last Will and Testament: some unintended consequences of impulsive changes to estate plans
This is Part 3 of my reflections on renowned interviewer Larry King’s secret Will that was revealed shortly after his death on January 23, 2021. See Part 1 here and...
This is Part 2 of my reflections on renowned interviewer Larry King’s secret Will that was revealed shortly after his death on January 23, 2021. See Part 1 here. Can...
Part 1 of 3 Well known interviewer Larry King died on January 23, 2021 from complications arising out of COVID-19. He was 87. He is survived by his spouse Shawn...